As Financial Controller I was responsible for the leadership of an European Shared Service Centre in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Led the termination talks across Western Europe for the outgoing accountants and finance staff.
- Led the hiring process of finance staff in Prague, recruiting a total of 44 staff. Working within a very competitive employment market I was a key player in the identification and recruitment of high-calibre individuals.
- Setup, stabilisation and motivation of the new finance team in Prague. I provided a leadership style that gave clear direction, regular feedback, and appropriate delegation. Through role-modelling behaviour I promoted open communication, customer focus and demonstrated a positive approach to problems and issues.
- Setup of the internal control environment with due regard for authorisations, reconciliations, proper recording and safeguarding of assets.
WHAT WENT WELL
- Team of 44 established in Prague.
- Department organised, objectives agreed.
- Successful close of FY2007 and audit signoff.
- Clean internal audit report.
- Appreciation of local rules (esp. employment regulations) and the impact on business decisions.
- Appreciation of local employment market, competition and retention rates (e.g. 0.1% unemployment in Prague amongst graduates).