When I don't work I cycle...a lot...
When I am not commuting to work by bike (often 36 miles a day), I undertake various cycling challenges, sometimes for charity, other times for just sheer pleasure...
5 countries in 6 days, 835km
In October 2022 I cycled from Bratislava to Budapest, then through Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia and Austria, reaching Vienna before finishing back in Bratislava.
Bratislava, Slovakia, by bike
My Eastern European cycle tour started and ended in Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia.
Vienna, Austria 🇦🇹, by bike
A whistle-stop tour of Vienna by bike, towards the end of my Eastern European bike tour in October 2022.
Powering my way through Hungary and Austria
This was the day I cycled through Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary and Austria all in the same day.
Koszeg, Hungary by bike
Koszeg is an historical town in the north of Hungary, and made a great place to rest for the night before my push onto Vienna the next day.
The ramblings of a long distance cyclist, en route from Croatia to Vienna, Austria
On board commentary from 'yours truly', 10 minutes of exclusive footage where I ramble on about...absolutely nothing.
I hate early starts!
Blurry eyed and still full of sleep, this is a typical start before a long day in the saddle. I was about to set off from Varazdin, Croatia, heading to a Hungarian town called Koszeg.
During my 6 day cycle tour in Eastern Europe I took an unplanned rest day to fix my bike and to tour Varazdin, a lovely Croatian town near the Slovenian border.
Unplanned rest day in Varazdin, Croatia.
With my bike needing some urgent repairs, I decided to take a rest day and tour the beautiful town of Varazdin, in Croatia.
Night riding through Hungary (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Don't underestimate the power of music to motivate, especially at the end of a 120 mile ride.
North York Moors to Peterborough - 218 miles
In 2018 I cycled from my home in North Yorkshire to Peterborough in a single day, a total of 218 miles.
Coast to Coast 2018 - 140 miles
In 2018 I cycled with a friend the 140 mile coast to coast route in a day, from Whitehaven to Sunderland.
Fuerteventura 2017 - 550 miles in 10 days
In 2017 I battled against the famous 25mph 'trade winds' and the volcanic mountains of Fuerteventura and cycled over 550 miles in 10 days.
Tour de Yorkshire 2017 - for Cancer Research UK
In 2017 I attempted the 3 day Tour de Yorkshire route with some colleagues from Transunion UK. Between us we raised over £5000 for Cancer Research UK.
My recent Strava activities
- Zwift - Race: STAGE 2: RACE MAKURI— Chain Chomper (E) on Chain Chomper in Makuri IslandsOn November 9, 2022 8:15 am went 4.81 km during 00:09:10 hours climbing 23.00 meters burning 87 calories.
- Day 7 - Vienna to BratislavaOn October 16, 2022 7:58 am went 77.25 km during 04:00:00 hours
- Day 6 - Koszeg to ViennaOn October 14, 2022 9:57 am went 109.32 km during 05:33:23 hours climbing 705.00 meters burning 2,818 calories.
- Day 5 - Varazdin to Koszeg (4 countries in 1 day)On October 13, 2022 6:00 am went 147.26 km during 08:00:00 hours
- Day 3 - Balatonmariafurdo (Hungary) to Varazdin (Croatia)On October 11, 2022 7:00 am went 127.14 km during 08:00:00 hours