The EMEA Financial Controller role was responsible for the back office finance and regional cash management of Europe, Middle East and Africa.
- Direct, manage and motivate a culturally diverse team (up to 120 people through 10 direct reports).
- Develop and roll-out internal control guidelines, accounting policies (in compliance with IFRS) and standardised processes.
- Manage general ledger, accounts payable and cash application activities.
- Deliver accurate trial balances on pre-close deadlines and signed-off reporting packs post month-end close within set deadlines, ensuring clearance of suspense accounts.
- Manage regional external and internal audit process.
- Proactively liaise with BU and Support Finance teams to create process efficiencies and ensure entries are accurate and complete.
- Deliver accounting services within budget.
- Tax, statutory accounts & local compliance.
WHAT WENT WELL
- Regular monthly financial reviews with regional financial controllers and the exercise of financial discipline throughout the department.
- Accurate and timely financial reporting to management.
- Tight control of departmental budget.
- Message of openness, approachability and team-spirit promoted throughout the department through strong communication and role modeling behaviour.
- Strong cultural differences reside across regions and countries. An appreciation of these different cultures is essential to the motivation of the entire department.
- Awareness of the environment is an important part of the controller’s function to maintain strong internal controls and prevent (and detect) fraud. E.g. geopolitical factors such as poverty, war, etc., increase the risk of company theft/fraud.